Sunday, October 27, 2013

Life without Life


It’s about 2 am on October 27, 1986 when the lights in my garage began to fade away. I walked slowly towards the uneven shelf east of the room to grab my lantern.
“Hurry it up son, this engine isn’t going’ to build itself” my dad says. It was possibly the first thing he said all night. Me and my dad were working on our Nissan Skyline GTR 34. We thought of having a father-son project that it would bring us closer together. Ever since mother died when I was twelve, we vowed to stick together in any situation. There hasn’t been a day when I haven’t thought about my mom. She was struck and killed by an officer that wasn’t paying attention when driving. Me and my father go down to the cemetery once a week to talk about how much we’ve been able to learn about ourselves, but there was this one thing I didn’t know about my dad. One night my father told me he was going out at 3 am and it was my birthday, I was very much confused. I thought about my dad all night, but when finally the hour hand on my watch hit three, he was already gone.

I looked outside to see if he was walking or driving the old pickup truck mother used, but there was no sight of him. Mother’s truck was apparently in the garage collecting dust. As the strong wind lifted my hat off my head and flew into the back area of the garage I noticed that our Skyline was gone. I sat on the hood on the old pickup and began to think what would he want with that car. I look on his email on his laptop to see if there were any big events and I see the most shocking advertisement. I see a street racing email that has the date 10/27/1986. I was seriously nervous. Why would he do this now, on my Birthday?

It’s 5:50 in the morning when I’m getting a phone call from the police department stating that my dad has been seriously injured because of street racing, but that wasn’t the worst one, they also stated the he will be doing some time in Federal Prison because of his abusive way of driving. I was devastated. I felt like god didn’t want anyone to look over me, help me through hard times. I never thought that both of the people I loved most would automatically become the first to exit my life without leaving a last word to remember. I’m lost in my head, not knowing what to do. I couldn’t pay attention in high school, so I dropped out. I needed a fresh start, therefore I left town. I found success in California where I became a person with still no job, but with a start. My dad on the other hand, told me he was doing just fine. Me and him talked on the phone for twenty minutes. After his arrest I found myself an interest in California and a lot of people lived it, it took place in many abandoned or regular roads at late night. It's time to start your engines.

1 comment:

  1. Great Blogpost! I loved how....it was good. (this is a test)

    ReplyDelete